Bruce Walker is the founder and chairman of Source Strategies, Texas’ leading hotel consultancy. His experience includes working with some of the world’s most recognizable consumer companies (Holiday Inn, Hampton Inns, Howard Johnson, Procter & Gamble, Crest, Secret, Scope, La Quinta). Bruce Walker leveraged his innovative marketing and branding work to develop Source Strategies into a key resource for the Texas lodging industry.
Bruce Walker’s Career Highlights
- 1987-Present: Source Strategies, Inc. Founder and Chairman. Practice includes 100+ hotel feasibility studies annually for individual developers. Maintain Database Texas hotels and motels. Litigation support and expert testimony. Publisher and writer of The Hotel Brand Report and the Texas Hotel Performance Factbook.
- 1986-1987: La Quinta Motor Inns, Inc. Senior Vice President, Marketing. Repositioned brand with the ad campaign “Just Right Overnight,” new corporate logo, extensive couponing and premium-quality king rooms.
- 1984-1985: Portel Videotex Network LP. President. Home-banking, home-shopping start-up.
- 1976-1983: Holiday Corporation. Vice President, Marketing (1975-79), President of Subsidiaries (1979-82), Senior Vice President, Central/Strategic Planning (1980-83). Started the first hotel frequent traveler’s program, and the classic ad campaign, “The Best Surprise is No Surprise.” Developed and launched the Hi-Net satellite reception network to Holiday Inn hotels (HBO, CNN and ESPN). Created prototypes and strategic plans for new chains Hampton Inns and Embassy Suites, and recommended sale of Holiday Inn chain (sold 1989 to Bass PLC).
- 1969-1975: Howard Johnson Company. Assistant to the President, Director Disney
World Development, Director Restaurant Marketing.
- 1964-1968: Procter & Gamble Company. International Brand Manager. Introduced Scope, Secret and Crisco Oil into Canada; Crest and Tempo into the United Kingdom.
- 1957-61 Amherst College. BA, Economics.
- 1961-63 Harvard Business School. MBA.
- Boston Consulting Group seminars.
- Hotel/Motel Valuation and Investment Seminar, April 1992. Appraisal Institute
Publications and Seminars
- The Appraisal Journal, Summer 2012: New Option in Hotel Appraisals: Quantifying the Revenue Enhancement Value of Hotel Brands. Co-writer with Doug Sutton.
- The Cornell Quarterly, October 1993, “What’s Ahead: A Strategic Look at Lodging Trends.”
- Hotel & Motel Management, October 1994, “Hoteliers Should Examine Hotels’ Life Cycles.”
- The Hotel Brand Report newsletter, written and published quarterly since 1987.
- Speeches to Urban Land Institute, Appraisal Institute, Real Estate Counseling Group of America, Texas Hotel & Lodging Association and O’Connor & Associates.